Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cherries

I talk in my sleep more and more often. Sometimes I wake myself up.

I woke up about 4AM last night. I always do, and it drives me mad. Most people, or at least most people I know, would roll with it. It's cool, it's silent, I have these dark spaces to myself. I could get so much done if I'd just embrace it.

But see, it's all about mood. And when I wake up to my own voice shouting nonsense in the middle of the night? Well I'm just not in the mood, thanks. To be truthful, I'm quite disturbed.

My cousin used to sleepwalk. He'd get up after 2 and make strange sandwiches. He was a Libra.

Last night I woke up to the words: Please don't let the next Lifesaver be banana. I can't remember the last time I even bought candy. I don't even like candy. I certainly don't like banana candy, and a banana Lifesaver would probably be awful. But I can't figure out what led to this statement. This phrase that was so tangible and so terribly important that it woke me up at 4AM. And this missing memory is frightening to me in a way that I can't begin to rationalize. I just know something essential has been forgotten.

Please don't let the next life be bananas. This one's cherries and I still can't pin it down. Maybe I could make more sense of it with a good night's sleep.

 

3 comments:

Ray Nolan said...

I've known that feeling, or that experience, without ever realizing it before you put it into words.

Katie said...

Oh God, I used to do this all the time. My cousin used to sleep over a lot, and when I started talking, it would wake her up. She kept a notebook by the bed, and would write down all the odd things I was saying.

It was absolutely bizarre, to wake up the next morning and read what I'd said. Thankfully, I grew out of it.

Anonymous said...

wow! nice post. u can read mine too. i just started anyway. cheers!
www.mindultimate88.blogspot.com